Friday, February 27, 2009

Need to Work on Something Else....

I've spent several days working on some stupid HST using the Thangles paper method. Uhhhgggg! I don't know what I'm doing wrong. The first set I did turned out great. I was amazed. This second set has been awful. Same fabric, same size triangles, but the corners don't meet and at this point, I think I'm going to have to tear them all apart and put them together again, 'cause nothing fits together. And since that seems like alot of work, I just threw the whole thing into the bin I have for that project and got out something else.

I really want a good method for HST because I really want to do several quilts with those shapes and I thought that the Thangles BOM would be a good way to learn how to do them. I guess I'll have to figure out what I did wrong or find another method.

I decided to put the binding on my Trip Around the World quilt. It came back from the long arm quilter about 2 weeks ago and I really want to see it done. I took it with me to church Weds night for Ash Weds service and before the service I cut off all the extra batting and backing that was still attached. So now I have a clean item that I can manage on my machine.

I had put aside the fabric that I wanted to use, so it wasn't hard to find it and cut the pieces, miter them together and iron them in half. But do I have the right color thread? No, I do not. So a trip to WalMart is on the agenda for after work today to get maroon colored thread (we need dog food, too, so I am multitasking).

Yesterday I ordered EQ6. My dad bought me quilting software about 15 years ago (and 5 computers ago) that I enjoyed playing with. I have no idea what it was called or where it is now. But I thought it was time to be a little more creative so I ordered it.

Not much else going on this week. DD has a couple of long term assignments coming up: the dreaded SCIENCE FAIR PROJECT and a Ancestry project. I always hated science fairs when I was in school because I knew that my projects were really dopey and I never had a really cool one (well, the volcano one was cool) like some of my classmates that did electricity and stuff. I searched on line yesterday for some ideas for a 4th grade science fair project. Of course, I was doing it by myself, DD was watching Hannah Montana or some other show and wasn't interested in finding a science fair project because that's not due for another week and a half. Any ideas?

I'm hoping that this weekend is better than last and that I get some quilting done. I think when I get the binding on that I will start a new project. That will motivate me!

1 comment:

  1. Are you still struggling with the Thangles? I haven't ever used them myself, so can't give advice. I use 2 squares, one of each fabric you want in your HST, cut about an inch bigger than I want the finished HST to be. Then draw a line diagonally and sew 1/4" on each side. Cut apart, then square up to the size you want. I have good luck with this method.

    ReplyDelete